The weather here in the PNW is ridiculous. For a place that rarely sees snow, we have been dumped on repeatedly for days. Schools have been cancelled all week and everyone is cuddled up inside waiting or the rain to return and melt all the white stuff away. I personally don’t mind the cold and snow. For me it is an excuse to make soup. One of my favorites is the “every vegetable soup.” Here’s how to make it…
- Get a big pot.
- Cut up your favorite veggies and put them in said pot. The more variety you have, the prettier the soup becomes. I mean look at that picture… who wouldn’t want to eat that soup?!?!?!
- Add a can or two (or three) of diced tomatoes. Depends on the size of your pot really and how much tomato flavor you want.
- Fill to the top with your favorite broth or water.
- Season to taste.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until veggies are tender.
That’s it. I am not a precise cook and cooking delicious food doesn’t need to be complicated. I throw in everything I like to eat and season a little bit at a time. Here are the veggies that I added today:
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch celery
- ~ 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 small head of broccoli
- ~2 cups fresh green beans
- ~ 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper
- ~ 1 cup cauliflower
- 1/4 head green cabbage
- 1/4 head purple cabbage
- 1 can sweet corn
- 3 cans diced tomatoes
I seasoned with Mrs. Dash and some garlic salt. After cooking, I added a little salt and pepper before eating. Beautiful, delicious, and even nutritious!